Thursday, September 25, 2008

Why the bigger picture?

I agree that I do not do a lot of contemporary reading, hell; I do not read at all: contemporary or whatever.

But recently I have been reading, and by my standards I have read a lot since I started on my advertising project (whcih is unrecognisable now from what it started off as an year ago).

And I see something that disconcerts me: every writer, be it the independent, curly hair, coffee sipping three times divorced thirty something hot shot journalist called something like Smitha Ranganathan, or your avergae jagjeet writing about his antics in Palera, UP: every writer wants to spot trends that no one else has spotted.

I do not know if it is our society's inclination towards science and maths (remember school?) and logic; so many blogs and editorials that I have read go like "here comes the usual post attack terrorist bashing", "here comes the post legalisation goat worshipping" and similar junk.

I think I know what it is, rising above the world, making observations is something we all enjoy at a very deep level. When it comes to survival, all want to be alpha males and queen mothers (no the latter part isn't true, is it?!) ; but when it comes to commenting on whats happening: everyone wants to be the wise old fart.

When was the last time you read something like, "it is difficult to relate this event to the past. it seems like totally random. but i think it is good." Never ever I am sure. People like to sound intellectual.

The more observant reader would've spotted that in writing this post I have indulged in the very act of trendspotting I have despised. I can say it is self parody; but thing is I am human.

What to do? 

3 comments:

Rajat Sawhney said...

wow dude..this is one heck of an article... aand i was jst itching to comment on how uve done the same thing tht ur on about when bamm..the last para!..lolz..tht makes it brilliant nt jst good..

Nalini said...

agree with u totally... nicely written... i once wrote a similar piece on classification... http://laughsohardyoursidesache.blogspot.com/2008/10/do-we-really-understand.html ... the dire need to classify and find order in everything... not necessarily simplifying the matter at hand... asking questions about everything... human nature i guess... to compare, to sort and to try and understand things happening around

or else, maybe it is the manifestation of an idle mind trying to find a job for itself

Psycho Surd said...

Haha! Our very own Miss Smitha Ranganathan to the rescue!! Remember you spent hours trying to classify her for me!

(PS: Isn't this also picking up something else, what the others haven't talked about yet? Perspective gentlemen, perspective.)