Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Not that bad after all

The TATA Nano will be on display in showrooms from All Fools Day, 2009. For an outright Nano critic like me, this announcement was the height of accidental irony. yeah right; they say it is safe an environmentally friendly and economical and all that. But it is gonna be made of chart paper and some glue for the kind of price tag it has and I don't see a point in every single car being kinder to the polar bears when you can possibly replace half the motorbikes on our city streets with it.

Besides it is quite an ugly looking thing, far from being an original (as touted by Dilip Chhabria; who in my view cannot design anything more subtle than Govinda's boots); a Mitsubishi i rip off; a populist slack of the UPA government; soon to be scourge of every city commuter. Soon we will all be in our nanos, sitting pretty and getting nowhere at all.
This morning though, there was a full page ad that appeared in TOI. Beautiful blue and green water coloured theme. Nice font I thought, with the tagline; 'Yes you can'. Bit of a rip off the ad as well, I thought. But for only one fleeting second I thought I could really see the other side of the argument. For the next second, I considered the possibility that this car could be pretty clever, and not just in a replace leather with foam kind of way. It could make every vehicle, right from the Honda Dio I have now to my future Aston, better.
For another second, I hoped that maybe when I drive it, the car WILL surprise me. That I will go in with my nose pinched and I just might come out a fan. I am not so sure, but this car can be the Indian car industry's first 'look at what we made' moment.
Agreed the advertisement, like the car, was a bit of a rip off. But it was good enough to let me see something I'd rather not. The world of reality is too often not as good as the world of imagination. Lets just hope this time around, it isn't.

All the best to you, tiny car.

7 comments:

Psycho Surd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Psycho Surd said...

Totally influenced by the 'Nano v/s Table' race huh? Nice to see you finally warming up. And yes, apart from the punchline, I think I've seen a similar font elsewhere.But hey, good job!

Hayat said...

who wrote the first comment? why delete it yaar?? let it be...

Psycho Surd said...

Yeah, I saw that too, before I typed my own comment.

P said...

nice post. i've always been more of a fan of the car. and okay, yes the ads are well, rip-offs. but the car really might be worth the hype it's creating.

and if it really is that eco-friendly, then it only makes sense to have it replace more polluting vehicles.

lets just wait and watch :)

Rajat Sawhney said...

@psycho surd..im sure the table will win in a nano vs table race... tht race ws fr an electric btw.. anyway. nano is fking small nd very retarded..looks like one of those cartoon cars.. thnks tata bitch fr making the streets more crowded with cartoony cars..and turning india into one big cartoon joke

lalit mohan said...

And then god said on the mountain......

thou shalt not insult thy nano


on a more serious note ,I have personally driven the car and seen it getting crash tested (Thanks to my obscure lil' PS-2).And trust me it's no paper-on-glue affair.

Concerning too many cars on our roads...that is true ,what we needed was a bicycle and better roads (http://www.virgin-vacations.com/site_vv/11-most-bike-friendly-cities.asp) ...but alas tata's are in the buisness of making cars